Golf Course Update
April 23rd, 2019
The golf course opened on April 18th. As many of you have been able to enjoy a few rounds of golf over the past week, you have probably noticed that course conditions have not improved, but instead have worsened.
After meeting with Jay and Doug this morning, the decision has been made to close the course, EFFECTIVE WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24th for the immediate future. The upcoming forecast looks awful with the calling of rain and snow, daytime highs in the single digits, and overnight lows reaching -6, which can drop even lower when factoring in potential wind chill.
We do have serious damage to several of our greens, primarily affecting the front third, as water is pooling underneath, and basically suffocating these areas. The drains for these greens have not yet released, as they are still frozen, and as more frost comes out of the ground, this moisture has no place to go.
We will be spraying all greens with fungicide, and then re-tarping several of them, in hopes of protecting and regenerating growth. Spraying and tarping will begin tomorrow.
I know this is not the email everyone was expecting, nor is it one we wanted to be writing, but we need to ensure that we are not sacrificing our course conditions for the year, just so we squeeze in a few extra rounds in April.
Please reach out to myself, or Jay, if you have any questions or concerns.
As soon as we know of a re-open date, we will let everyone know.
Director of Operations
The Canal at Delacour GC